Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Today started out as another scorching hot day; the temperature was 103 for most of the day.  My husband kind of surprised me by agreeing to go thrifting today.  He was looking for some golf shirts (and he found several very nice ones!) and I was looking for a few more pretty slips and nightgowns/pajamas.
It was another half price day at Goodwill, so of course we did end up there after hitting another thrift store that I like.
I, of course, found all manner of lovely frippery....and scored some lovelies...including  another knockout formal gown for $6.00 that I will share in another post.  I need to take some pictures of the new dress asap, and as soon as it's washed, I will do so.  I can't wait to show it to you!

Did any of you see the movie Burlesque?  In the movie, Christina Aguilera is singing a very torchy love song in a breathtaking green dress.  The background is white, Christina's hair is superblonde, her lips red and her skin pale.  I vowed to find a dress in that color some day.  I did.  You will see it in an upcoming post!


I think I should have worn more delicate shoes with this dress.  I also think the straps should be shortened a bit.  I love the hem flounce and the colors....but I'm not sure this is flattering on me.
I just wanted to be cool today.  We had so many places to stop.  I wore this thrifted dress and I'm kind of on the fence about it.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it.  The dress is beautiful, and it looks OK...but I think I need a bit wider strap on the shoulder to balance out my top half with my bottom half.  There is no minimizing these hips in this dress.  While I was at the thrift store, one of the tiny spaghetti straps BROKE!  I had to walk through the store to the register to find a safety pin, carrying an armload of purchases in one arm and trying to keep my top from from exposing me with the other arm to.  There was a line of customers and I was trying to be discreet, but the cashier starts yelling to the worker in the back, "do you have a safety pin for this lady...her dress strap broke!" So much for discretion!
Customers in line were digging in their purses to help me out, which was very sweet.  Finally, one of the workers brought me a pin....and I retreated, red faced to a dressing room to fix the errant strap.

With the dress, I wore this necklace, made by the program manager for non profit agency I volunteer for.  I love this! I receive so many compliments when I wear this piece.

Top and skirt, thrifted...shoes; Sofft, Galena.  I LOVE these shoes.
After we finished thrifting and grocery shopping, I decided to go to Marcel's studio dance party.  The temps had cooled considerably by then..from 103 to 89!  A cold snap!  Yay!  The outfit I wore was thrifted for less than 5 dollars, not including the shoes and fishnet stockings.  I felt much cuter in this...and there were no wardrobe malfunctions!  
I didn't feel so cute about my hair.  I had my bangs trimmed several days ago and the stylist just hacked them.  I'm trying to be patient and wait out the growing out phase.  Sigh.

Once I arrived at the party and started dancing, all of my petty little complaints just melted away.

My new favorite place to hang out.
The party was very small tonight, but it was till fun.  This mirror is a new addition to the studio.  There is always some new pretty thing every time I'm there. 

As you all know by now, I love dance.  With a passion.  
It makes me happy.  It's cheaper than therapy.  A little.

Do any of you dance?
If this is something you have ever though of doing...let me whole heartedly encourage you to do so ASAP.


5 comments:

  1. I just and I like it! I had to laugh about your wardrobe malfunction. Ya gotta laugh when stuff like that happens, what else can you do???
    I agree, the spaghetti straps just don't work well for curvier women. I wore a maxi dress with a very low cut top and spaghetti straps last weekend but had to pair a tank under it. Altho I don't think a tank is the answer for that dress, it is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I had a little trouble with my reply button this morning...but please see my reply to you in the comments!

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda,

    Thank you for your compliment. I am considering making a wider strap, shortening the straps a wee bit, or adding some cute purple and red flowers on the straps. I do love the colors and the hemline. I'm still not sure it I will keep the dress...but I would like to find a solution Welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt you wore to the party! And I need to find out if my local Goodwill offers this 50% off the day after the big sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,

      I was surprised to learn, when I was in line to pay, that it was a 50% off day since they usually do that every other week and the last one was last week. I asked the cashier and she told me that the weekend after a holiday they run another 50% off sale. I believe it is organization wide.

      That skirt was fun to dance in.

      Delete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain