Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My thrifted, girlie pretties

Dear readers, by now you have probably figured out that I adore wearing dresses.  I have only been able to satisfy my dress cravings by thrifting. I could never afford to own so many pretty dresses if I were buying them retail.  I seem to find a pretty dress every time I set foot in a thrift shop.  Some of the dresses I have found still have tags on them!

This is probably my favorite thrifted dress (not counting the formals).  It has a very feminine, romantic look.  The dress is not a designer dress, but I don't care...it looks very much like a 'Luisa Beccaria' dress.  http://www.luisabeccaria.it/

A couple of years ago, I fell in love with the Italian designer's dresses, which are floaty, ethereal and delicate.  They look like they should be worn in a meadow of flowers, or while carrying a market basket full of roses on a cobbled street in an old European town.  I cannot afford an LB dress...but I can be very happy wearing this reminiscent dress.

This dress is also thrifted from Goodwill.  It's an Evan Piccone dress and still had tags.  I didn't find this dress when I looked in the dress section, but as I walked past the section of the store where clothing that is being restocked hangs out, I spotted it.  Yep, I knew it was coming home with me.

Another non-designer dress.  Again, I don't mind that at all.  This dress is adorable on.  The picture does not do it justice; but I am looking forward to wearing it when temperatures return to normal!

This pretty little Vera Wang was $3.00.  But.......

I didn't notice in the store (and I always do a thorough look over) that the dress had a tear on the seam.  My husband noticed it when I modeled it for him.  "Honey, I'm seeing some underwear right at the seam on your butt". I thought he was teasing me until he gave me a little poke to prove it!  I'm very disappointed because this is such a pretty dress.  Despite my abundant booty, I swear I didn't rip it!  It doesn't fit that snugly!  The repair may complicated; the fabric is a bit shredded at the seam.  I hope that seam binding will remedy this, but I'm not a very good seamstress.  I love this dress and I want to try and save it. 

I adore the animal print in this unconventional blue.
Okay...I have a confession.....I have a secret fascination with QVC's designer Susan Graver's clothing. The show is my guilty pleasure.  I watch every show that is aired.  I love many of her designs, but I've never purchased any of them (and won't get sucked up into the QVC habit).  I have my TV set up to DVR all of her shows. I love everything about the show, from the bubbly personalities of the hosts and designer to the stylized outfits to the models.  I never feel tempted to buy, but I did hope to find a piece at a thrift.  I first heard of SG from my mom who also has a fascination with the clothes.  My mom's entire wardrobe is SG. Mom doesn't get around very well and doesn't venture from the house often.  I really like having common ground with her.  We gossip on the phone like a couple of teenage girls when the show is on and share our thoughts and observations of the outfits and models. 
 I found this trench coat at the Goodwill for $7.00.  It's in pristine condition and I really love the way it looks on me.  I'm pretty happy that I now have a Susan Graver piece that is thrifted.  

This is a really flattering dress.  Love the bracelet sleeves.  Love the pattern.  I love everything about it.  Thrifted.

I also love vintage and modern lingerie.  I wear it to bed almost every night.  Silky lingerie skims the body and is the most comfortable thing to wear to bed.  Hot flashes?  Tolerable in a light, silky slip or chemise!

The lace on the top is super soft.

Oh, the button detail!
This is my most treasured Goodwill find.  $3.00.  It's a Lily of France Rosa Puleo-Szule robe.  It's a vintage piece, probably from the 1970's or possibly the 80's.  Rosa Puleo-Szule was the elite designer for Lily of France during that time period.  She was also a strong feminist.  Her pieces are very sought after and I've seen them on the internet from around $75.00 to several hundred dollars.  I am simply in love with this.  It is in perfect condition.  When I saw it, I gasped because it was so beautiful.

Pretty ribbon and lace
The lace is gorgeous.

I need to measure the sweep of the hem....it's grand.

I'm not sure how to describe the full sleeves with the cuffed wrist.  Is this a Bishop sleeve?  The picture does not do the piece justice.  I can't believe its mine! For a mere three George Washingtons.

My July thrift was very productive.  I love every piece and can't wait to wear them.
If anyone has any suggestions on the repair of the Vera Wang dress, please share with me.  I really want to save it.

I'm sending some major thrift Mojo out to all of you....
Hope you find some lovelies that tickle you as much as these girly pretties tickle me!  There is no more satisfying shopping therapy than a productive thrift shop!

29 comments:

  1. Gah--I want to come thrifting with you! That first dress reminds me of my wedding dress the first time I was married. And the Susan Graver trench is wonderful, but I want the robe. Please let me know if you're ever ready to part with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri....I'm not sure how I have had such luck thrifting. Maybe it's nature's way of teaching me frugality; a lesson that was lost on me for far too many years.

      I will put you at the top of the list if I ever decide to part ways with my robe. In the mean time...I'm sending you some extra thrift mojo...maybe you will find one soon!

      There are a few listed on ebay..and I saw a very similar one that was listed for 75.00. If I run across the link again I will send it to you. I have to tell you, there a stunning sea green/aqua penoir/robe set that I found when I was researching mine that was way out of my budget ($275.00. Also, this one:

      http://www.midnightglamour.com/catalog/item/443846/7878173.htm

      that took my breath away.

      You will have some fun perusing this site!

      Delete
  2. Look at all those beauties! I hope you can fix the Vera Wang dress. The fabric design and style of it look super nice. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I hope it can be fixed too. I had way too much fun thrifting this month!

      Delete
  3. I love the animal print dress. So many wonderful dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you......I have been really fortunate in finding treasures.

      Delete
  4. I'm a bit of a dress collector myself! So sweet that you and your Mom both like the Susan Graver line. I will have to check it out :)

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adrienne,

      I notice that you wear dresses often on your blog. We are true dress girls, aren't we.

      I should say that my 'relationship' with the SG line can be a love/hate thing. Sometimes I love certain pieces...other times not so much. I am fascinated, though, by the hostesses ability to market the product. It's fascinating to watch; they will have the viewer convinced by the end of the demonstration that they NEED the product. I NEVER purchase anything from QVC, but I can't stop watching that show!

      Delete
  5. You certainly have the good luck thrift fairy with you! I wish I could find deals like that where I live. I did find a nice pair of Cynthia Rowley shoes at Goodwill but I still paid $25 for them, but they were unworn and I felt like the money was going to a good cause. When I went into Goodwill, all I saw was Croft and Barrow lol nothing vintage. I've been waiting around for a good antique auction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I think it varies depending on where you go. I definitely stay away from the C&B line! LOL! You were lucky to find those CR shoes...and I will tell you; someone there knew how to price them. And $25 for a pair of unworn CR's is a really good deal. I know they try to put a higher tag on labelled brands, but OFTEN they miss.....that's how I found a J.Crew silk dress with tags still on for $5.00. There is a tiny little resale shop right around the corner from me and everything is priced consistently and low. I dismissed that little shop for the longest time until I went in one time and found my black Bill Levkoff formal dress for $15. That baby is still available retail and sells for over 200. Now, I don't dismiss anything.

      There are two Goodwill stores within 10 miles of my home in either direction. Location does mean something. In one town, the homes are all more expensive suburban homes, and the clothing in that store is where I find all of the higher end brands. It's fortunate for the shoppers, but really, a sad commentary on the consumerism that exists.

      I will send the GL thrift fairy your way for a bit!

      Delete
  6. Wow, I'm impressed with your thrift haul! Well done!

    I love the first floral dress and the great trenchcoat. Re: the ripped dress, what about shortening it into a top or tunic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous!!!! <3
    http://myvintagecurves.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sending you some mojo too...so that you will find some thrifted lovelies to enjoy!

      Delete
  8. What a fabulous collection!! I do hope you can fix the butt reveling one it looks really pretty :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope it can be fixed...I'll have to cry if I can't...it's too pretty to say goodbye to!

      Delete
  9. Great finds! I just love the thrill of the hunt in a thrift store! I bet you can fix that tear, too!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....I love the thrill of the hunt too. It's great knowing that I am doing a small part to reduce my carbon footprint. Thrifting is better than retail to me because I'm not limited to what is trending.

      Delete
  10. You have come across with some amazing pieces! Hope you can repair that pretty one!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I hope I can too...that was one of my favorites. I'm going to take it to a seamstress who I know can work magic.

      Delete
  11. Oh my word! You have found incredible dresses...well done. But I have to say my favorite it the vintage robe. I would LIVE in that thing with little kitten heeled mules on my feet and bon bons within arm's reach wherever I roamed in the house. Truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vintage robe is one of those pieces that inspires the bon bon/kitten heel mules/olf hollywood fantasy....

      Delete
  12. The blue animal dress is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love vintage robes. Alright, so cat print bathrobes may be warmer and duck pajama sets are cute but they just can't match up with how internally, and externally sexy you feel in a vintage slip just before you head to bed regardless if there's something in there waiting for you. They are just so feminine and empowering that I've been wearing the exclusively for years now as sleepwear.

    anni-dot-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni....I agree with you,,,they create an internal change in the way you feel and see yourself. I've been wearing them too and they feel so wonderful against the skin. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  14. I want to go thrifting with you. I have NEVER hit that kind of motherload. Wow. Beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I manage to do so well...but it seems that I always have good luck when I thrift. There two Goodwill stores within 10 miles of my house; one of them is in a fairly "well-to-do" town (LOL) and there are always good things there. I can't believe how many things I find, especially dresses, that still have tags on! Its like people just cast off their good things on a weekly basis! I also look for some things that most people are not usually looking for; like vintage lingerie and formal dresses.

      One think I have learned though is to go a day or two after the big sales....then they bring out new merchandise to restock...that's when I seem to hit the 'motherlode'!

      Delete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain