Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Reconnecting with High School Chums.....

Today was a special day....I met three of my high school friends at a lovely restaurant, Abuelo's Mexican Embassy.  In high school, we were all pretty close.  We were in choir and drama together...participated in many plays and musicals and choir concerts.  On our lunch hour, we and a fairly large group of other choir/drama students would go downstairs to the choir room and hang out.  The room was often locked but there was half inch gap between the two large swing out doors and we would use a driver's license to open the room.  It was all innocent, clean fun;  we would play the piano, sing, listen to music, gossip, rehearse for our stage productions and just hang out sharing our hopes and dreams for the future.
We all thought we were going to be actors or performers.  None of us are.


This photo was taken in the entry of the restaurant.  It's really lovely inside and the food was excellent!  I should have taken a picture of the food.  The best part was just spending time with a group of ladies that I don't get to see enough.  I have seen each of them separately over the years, but this is the first time in thirty years that we have all been together in one place.  We were there for three hours and I didn't want it to end.  We agreed that we are going to have diva nights every month.  In the last decade, I have really come to understand how important it is to spend time with girlfriends.  I appreciate the special bonds and the shared confidences between girlfriends that can't be fulfilled by family relationships.  We need our friends to vent to, to support us, to share our frustrations, joys and disappointments.  Our family fills that role too, but girlfriends fill the gap where family is just too close.  During the past two years, I've spent a lot of time reconnecting with old friends.  It's been joyful; a wonderful blessing.  I thank God for my girlfriends and renewed friendships.

I fell in love with this beautiful fountain
  

Dress, a.n.a. on clearance at J.C. Penney; belt,  JCP
I wore a simple black cotton knit dress with a chain belt and a pair of silver earrings.  It was 102 degrees today....and my hair was mess.  On days like this I just have to put my hair up and be done with it!

Earrings by Monet; Curls, Frizz created by unbearable heat!

This chain belt has been a great investment, I wear it often!

We have had an ongoing heat wave here with temperatures topping 100.  I'm hopeful that our utilities will continue to function so that we don't lose our air conditioning.  
It's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow.  I have a lesson and it's dance party night.  Let's see if I can stay motivated in this heat.

I hope all of you are staying cool and safe!
Remember to drink lots of water.

14 comments:

  1. We've had the same weather, but you look lovely in spite of it. Your circle of friends sounds like the forerunner of Glee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I never made that Glee connection until you mentioned it..and yep..that could have been us. We had a lot of fun back then!

      This weather is awful, isn't it? It drains my motivation!

      Delete
  2. Girlfriends are so important. So glad you had a great time connecting with some of your high school friends.

    Those earrings are great - an ideal size. I bet you will (or already do) wear them often.

    I have seen on the news that most of the country is really suffering from horrible summer heat. That must really be dreadful. We are in the high 80's, low 90's lately and whenever I start to whine about it, I remember all the people who have it much worse than we do. And who knows? We may get our turn this summer at some point...though I really, really hope not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, I also hope you don't experience this heat wave! I am thankful for AC that is still working. Don't know what I would do without it.

      Thanks for the compliment on the earrings; I do wear them all the time. BTW, I really enjoy your blog.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog! This post is awesome!
    Check out my blog, write your opinion and maybe...follow?
    Where are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, that's so nice that you met up with some friends from high school. I hope you had a ton of fun! You looked cute. :)

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun....the best part was reminiscing about the crazy things we did in our teens!

      Delete
  5. Very chic outfit! I think I have the same belt!

    Most of my friends from high school were also from being in drama and choir together! I'll never forget those fun memories with my fellow drama geeks. One of my friends went on to have a theatre and show with his brothers in Branson, and another friend became a theatre teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the best times with my drama geek friends. I recently had the good fortune to go see a play that my high school drama teacher was in. I hadn't seen him since he quit teaching after my senior year to work in a higher paying field. I saw his name in the paper for the play...and I went! He remembered me...Yay!

      That's really cool that your friend has a Branson show! We will be taking a trip to Branson in the near future; is the show still playing? Can you tell me what it is? There are so many options to choose from and I am having a difficult time narrowing down my choices. The only one I know FOR SURE that I want to see Jim Stafford.

      Delete
  6. Lisa, here's their website: http://www.hughes-brothers.com/ I've never been to Branson, but I do remember from high school that the entire family is quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. I'm going to check out the link right now!

      Delete
    2. Thanks again, Natalie! I did check out the website! It looks interesting. I love the concept of FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT! This is on the list!

      Delete
  7. Great article and insight on the importance of girlfriends. I had my circle of girls in high school and college and for a brief time outside of college. However, for the last 10 years my best friends, hang out buddies compadres have all been males. After reading this I think I am going to make a bigger effort to reconnect with my gal pals or add some new ones. Love the dress, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to this post earlier and now I see it didn't post!

      I worked in male dominated fields for most of my adult life. I was a paramedic and before that I was in car sales. Throughout those years, I was closer to men as friends. I really noticed in the last decade that I was yearning to reconnect with many of the girlfriends that I had been close to when I was younger. I'm so glad that I made an effort to do so.... a lack of female friendships was creating a deficit in my life...but now that is filled again. I am blessed with rich female friendships now!

      Delete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain