Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 9, 2012

Back to Reality


It's good to get back to day to day reality after the days of 100 degree heat and the firework frenzy of the holiday.  Last night was the last night of a five nights of fireworks shows in our town.  I enjoy the town events, but I'm not crazy about all the neighbors shooting their own fireworks.  Maybe it's the former paramedic in me that just feels uneasy about the potential for injury. My most dreaded day to work on the ambulance was always the 4th of July.  
Our neighborhood goes CRAZY with the fireworks and the day after the streets are so littered with fireworks debris you can barely see the street curbs.
Ahhhh..I'm breathing a sigh of relief that it's over until next year!

Today is a lazy day.  I have to pay a few bills and take my little guy to vacation bible school.  Then I plan to exercise and read.  That's it!  No shopping, no dancing....just reading.  During the school year, I do a lot of heavy reading.  During this unexpected summer off school AND work, I am thrilled to have plenty of time to read some JUICY, GOSSIPY, SCANDALOUS, FLUFF.  Even when I read for pleasure, I typically don't read fluff.  But this summer I am.  I'm just finishing reading 'Monica's Story' (yes, that Monica).  I never had any desire to read this book..but when I found the hardback at a garage sale for .25 I decided I was going to enjoy some dirt this summer.  I'm flabbergasted by what I'm reading; the whole event was a wreck on everyone's part.  There were no innocent victims in my opinion...bad behavior all around and a lot of denial, buck passing and blame.  
I plan to spend quality time with my kindle too.  I couldn't help but buy Rielle Hunter's book, too.  I'm kind of embarrassed.  Initially, I vowed not to give one cent of my money to her by buying this book....but I broke down.  I just can't resist the lure of this story of another group of high profilers and their naughty-naughtys.
I can't believe I'm spending my reading time on gossip, dirt and juicy scandal....but I am; and I'm enjoying it.  Don't judge me....giggle giggle.

My outfit today is nothing special, but I like wearing it.  Simple black tee, a thrifted skirt and a necklace.  Easy dressing.  

Dress Barn necklace
This is a clearance necklace I found for $8.00.  I think that price is ok, but considering my new-found frugality it felt like an indulgence.  Most of my jewelry is a little dressier, so I needed a more casual but versatile piece.  I think I will get a lot of mileage out of this one.

Mr. Funnyman really likes to turn the camera on himself.  He is surprisingly agreeable about taking photographs and is now asking for a better camera for himself.  He has a 'kid camera' and wants a 'real camera'.  I think it will be a good idea to encourage his interest.

I'm looking forward to a relaxing day reading.
Wishing all of you have a beautiful and stress free day.

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's great to just give your brain a break and read just for fun. Summer is a great time to do it too. I love that pretty, lightweight skirt that's perfect for a summer day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shea, the skirt is very flowy and light! It felt very comfortable.

      I agree about the brain break! I have really needed this summer break, but I will be happy to get back to taking and teaching classes in August.

      Delete
  2. You have such beautiful legs, girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you....when I was younger, people used to tease me for my "bird legs" and because they are so pale!

      Delete
  3. Your necklace is so pretty! I like the skirt, too.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie....it's not my usual necklace style...but I have to have at least one that isn't really fancy!

      Delete
  4. The necklace is perfect with your reading look! I seldom read book length treatments of these scandals, but I will admit to looking at more than a few Katie & Tom stories. We can't have personal fireworks in my little town, which is probably for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I really wish that there was a fireworks prohibition in my town. Because of all the heat...I think it was very risky.
      Thanks for the compliment on my necklace. I thought it added a little something to finish off the look.

      Delete
  5. How great to encourage a budding talent. Love the dressy casual. I have to get a few good reads myself for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to scandalous summer reads! Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  6. Lovely necklace. I finish work tomorrow for six weeks. yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you can't wait for your six weeks off!

      Delete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain