Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 11, 2013

The last bit of freedom before the work/school marathon....



Classes begin Monday.  I have taken this last week of freedom and spent time with friends and family.  I've been the lady who lunches and shops (yes, I busted my resolution to shop less...but every day is a new day and I'm starting over; I'm going to get it right).
Dressbarn turtleneck, Dressbarn skirt (thrifted), Nordstrom wool scarf (thrifted), Nine West booties

Tuesday, I had lunch with my dear childhood friend Rose.  Rose didn't want to have her picture taken because she's growing out her hair and felt that her hair was at an awkward stage.  I think she looks beautiful just as she is, but I know that I am particular about photos and hair too.  She was kind enough to indulge me and take some photos....
I may have taken pictures in this same spot previously...its the very old library building which is now a Masonic hall and banquet facility.  Its such a beautiful building, I just love looking at it.  I feel so small in front of this massive building.

We had a great time talking at lunch...we're both a couple of chatty magpies when we get together.  We grew up as neighbors and have so many cherished memories of childhood.  One of her memories of me....I used to pile on the makeup when I was just starting learn how to put it on.  Her mother kindly took me aside and gently suggested that I would look prettier without the heavy green frosted eyeshadow.  Thank you Beverly...you taught me the lesson of a lifetime and it has stuck with me; the only time I enjoy heavy makeup is when competing!
Rose and I shared a great fondness for the hot Chicago Cubs players of the time...Rose crushed on Dave Kingman and my hot dude was Bill Buckner.  I really enjoy reminiscing with her.

I wore these Lia Sophia earrings, 'Sunbeam' with Tuesday's outfit;....they're one of my favorites.  If I can actually pick a favorite.





On Wednesday, I broke my spending moratorium. I'm disappointed that my resolve lasted only 9 days.  I justified my spending by reminding myself that the great sale prices will not be available in a couple more weeks and I'll be inundated with school/work demands from next week until May.
  I did have some practical needs....but I went full retail on almost all of my purchases which I rarely ever do.  Some of my purchases are featured below in Thrusday's review.


 With the outfit above I'm wearing three LS pieces; two of this necklace, 'Panorama" and the 'Ladylike' ring.

I receive so many compliments when I wear this ring.



I put this Michael Kors bag on layaway.  It's  significantly reduced T.J. Maxx price was too tempting to pass up.  I usually carry mini-bags and larger tote or computer bag, but I need a day bag that's not as big as a tote, but larger than my usual small bag. 

INC skirt (thrifted), Dressbarn turtleneck, unbranded leopard scarf.

The skirt is hanging a bit "kattywhompus" as Rhonda is fond of saying.  It was a very long leisurely day, and my picture reflects that, but it was a wonderful day and I enjoyed wearing the skirt.  While we were out, the scarf looked really cute tied as bow...but its droopy here!
We had a tasty lunch at Cafe' Bon Femme.

....and we enjoyed out cute British waiter, Tom.  We had no idea what words he was saying because we were too enchanted with his darling accent.  Tom was a great sport and agreed to allow us to snap his picture; before taking I did ask to make sure he was on the lam from the law....haha!  We don't want to splash his picture all over the blogosphere if he was!  

My lunch!  I could eat like this nearly every day.

....as long as I have these delicious peppery, crisp sweet potato fries along with my meal.

Rhonda's French Onion soup smelled divine.  Isn't it pretty?

cHalet dress, Blondo boots
Today....I'm wearing one of my purchases from yesterday.  Bangles, a sweet boutique shop was having a 50% off fall and winter wear sale.  At half price, I paid about what I would exact to pay for a nice dress at full retail.  a bit pricey, but so out of my norm of thrifting that I don't feel too bad about it.  I don't normally shop retail and especially boutiques, but I couldn't resist.  I fell in love with this dress the minute I put it on.  Its very soft and comfortable.  It looks good unbelted, great belted.  Today, I wanted the ease of an unbelted dress.  The boots are new;  they're waterproof fashion boots and I'm excited to have them because I can wear them all winter and still be fashionable.  

Barbara Lesser jacket.  

These beautiful Lia Sophia pieces are from the new spring catalog and will be available on the 28th of January.  I have decided not to purchase too many of the new pieces because my business is a bit slow right now.  I'm giving it time to pick up, but have had a number of ladies back out of scheduled parties recently.  I'm thinking of trying out my own Lia Sophia online website to generate more sales.   

I chose these three pieces because they really represent the versatility and timeless character of LS jewelry.  In this picture, there are three pieces; two of the same necklace in two different colors and one pendant slide.  Each of the necklaces consists of three detachable strands and a double clasp for maximum versatility.  The clasp is designed to function as a clasp if you wear it short and a decorative accent and clasp if you wear it long.  These pieces can be configure in about 7 or eight different ways.  
Although the necklaces look gold in the picture, one is silver tone and the other hematite.  The slide is silver.
They're really fun to wear!

I had a lot of writing to do during my break, so I didn't have as much leisure time as I would have like to, but I made the most of the time I did have.
I'm thankful that my work/school schedule allows me built-in time off and mini-vacations.
My salary is low...until I finish my Masters degree....but I have what I need and enjoy some wonderful leisure time and time to connect with cherished friends and family.
Now....on to the school work marathon.
I'm taking a deep breath......
Taking an easy weekend...
and here I go.........

23 comments:

  1. You are a girl after my own heart. I take pictures of cute waiters too. And I'm actually wearing the same Nine West booties today as are in your first photo. I love that you have a pair two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome bootie, versatile and comfy. Come to think of it...I recall commenting on your booties in a past post.
      He was cute! Its fun to have a cute young, waiter...especially with a gorgeous accent!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you just have to buy yourself something nice .. and you might as well buy it now .. because as you mentioned you're going to be too busy to buy stuff anyway. Well, you know .. I think that's good logic ;-)

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica.....it was a wonderful treat. Now I have to stop and focus on work!

      Delete
  3. The restaurant offering looks good. The food doesn't look bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaaaaa!!! That's so funny! You funny girl.

      Delete
  4. Terrific T. Jai dress! It looks GREAT on you! Love the accessories and the love how you added scarf and jacket!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, Jeannie....somehow I typed that name wrong...its actually Chalet. I don't know I did that! Its a very comfy dress. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  5. You look absolutely gorgeous! And your hair is SO fabulous!!! Enoy your weekend girly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Serene, my crazy, windblown hair! :)

      Delete
  6. Ah... to be a "lady who lunches"... even for a little while... I'm glad you are having a relaxing break. No rest for the wicked (or their defense attorney) over this way!

    Looking fab, lady! I've picked up the exercise again, but haven't gotten the hang of the dieting part....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have this leisure time, but I know what's in store for me with work/school until May. I have no less than 4 projects to work on and probably more. But I'm going to enjoy the few days of freedom that are left.

      I'm glad you are exercising again! I know you had some setbacks, but just get back into it. Dieting is difficult. I find it hard to resist temptation. We will both just keep trying!

      Delete
  7. So many nice outfits in this post, but the green is my favorite one! And the Michel Kors bag, I love the balance between the classic design and the edge the metal pieces add!!!! Glad that you have enjoyed your vacation. Here is busy busy busy, but today I will take a break and have a look at the final sale! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun browsing the sale!
      Thank you for the compliment, Anna. I think the green is my favorite too.
      I'll be very busy again soon, too. I'm working on the thesis, but I don't know if I will get IRB approval before the March deadline. Maybe I will have to do a poster session only.

      Delete
  8. Your blog is a real delight. Terrific fashion, fun writing. The Bangles dress is adorbs. Who could pass that up?! Love the beautiful building backdrop, too. And, for sheer fun, snapping a pic of a cute waiter is hilarious. He's a hunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't resist the waiter photo. But the heck with his hunk-ness; his accent is what had me all swoon-y!

      Delete
  9. That Michael Kors bag is fab!! love your outfit in the last photo:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I've never had a red bag before. I'm a bit unsure about it..but its coming to live with me soon, anyway.

      Delete
  10. Hi Lisa,
    Your afternoon with your friend looks lovely-and so do you. Great score with the Michael Kors bag. I bought a similar one at TJMaxx (yay!) and it was perfect for traveling Europe. Just the right size for flights and travel. Good luck with the back to school.
    Cheers, xx Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. Its big for me, but I really do need a slightly bigger bag than I've been carrying. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  11. I am determined to shop secondhand only this year, as well as greatly edit my wardrobe and shop less, but confess I've already broken my resolution, so I feel ya, Lisa! I couldn't have resisted that beautiful dress either.

    I only have one LS piece, a convertible pendant. I bought it at a friend's part, and while it was certainly more than I normally spend on jewelry, I know it's probably down to .50 cost per wear, because I wear it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soothe my guilt by remembering that I buy nearly everything second hand (ummm, except for undergarments!)

      I get my LS jewelry at a steep discount too, since I'm an advisor. So I do save money in many places.

      Speaking of Lia jewelry, I'm glad you your piece so much. When you buy more than one pieces, your price per piece goes down a lot too. Either way, their jewelry is pretty amazing, because its so smartly designed. Timeless pieces that I love wearing all the time. I'm happy you love your LS piece too!

      Delete
  12. Love you in that green!

    I think you should set up a Lia Sophia site. My sister had a party a few years ago and I bought some stuff, but I am liking the ones you are showing much better! I would check out a site you put up.

    ReplyDelete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain