Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 7, 2012

This picture is so relevant because I have spent many years looking at my own mirror image and asking myself this question.  The answer is yes, of course it is.  And what of it.
I am a petite lady with a rear end of epic proportions.  I am not joking.  I am not exaggerating.  I have always been tiny....with a big bubble booty.  And I have always been very self conscious of this "flaw".
I've spent countless hours working out to reduce it's size and I've spend an equal amount of time cursing it.  I know I'm not alone, but my unusual proportions are not as common those you see on other voluptuous women.
Just as some people can be rude in staring at or commenting on a woman's large chest, so can they be rude about their comments about my (and others) rear end.  I think that society has progressed in some ways and it's pretty taboo to  talk about or stare at a large chest in an obvious manner; but judging from my experiences, there is no real taboo about doing so when the subject is a big butt.
The other day I was in a fast food restaurant and the two young men in their 20's who were working could barely repress their attention to my "attribute".  As I walked away, I heard snickers and "that's a tip drill".  A "tip drill" is a term used in a popular rap song and it refers to a female who is not attractive in the face or in general, but is good enough to be used as a "tip drill".  You don't have to look at her face as her back is turned while being "drilled".  Ironically, these young men were about the same age as my oldest sons.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or to cry.
I'm sensitive.  About this issue I'm very sensitive.  I've spent years educating myself and believe I have more to offer than my body.  I am more than the sum of my parts.
Body acceptance can be a challenge for many women.  We worry about being too fat or too skinny.  We worry about our boobs and our butts being too big or too small.  We worry about not being taut and toned, about having too many freckles or hair that is too straight or too curly.  We worry about not being pretty enough, not looking like runway model.  It's difficult when we are met by media images every day that entice us to buy products that will magical transform us into beauties.
No matter how much I work out, no matter how much weight I lose, the shape of my body is not going to change.  I will tone, but I will never be a rail.
As much as I am offended by public comments about my shape, I am going to embrace it.  I am going to be thankful to God for all of the wonderful things he has placed in my life.  I am going to remember that rude or lascivious comments are not a reflection on who I am; it's more about the speaker than the receiver.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain