Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ballroom Competition!




These photos were taken at the 2012 Indiana Challenge Pro-Am Ballroom Competition in February.  Ballroom dance is my passion and I enter several competitions every year.  I danced well at this competition and I placed well; to my surprise I was awarded 1st place in the American Smooth Bronze division scholarship against 22 other couples.  There were several elimination rounds in this division because of the large number of competitors and each time I made it through one of them I was very happy.  I didn't expect to make thorough all of them and then win.  The win was so unexpected that when they called my name I was chatting with my coach (who is my competition partner) and wasn't aware that I was being called.  He took my hand and led me to the judges....but it was obvious the spectators that I hadn't been expecting it.  What a great feeling!
I have a great coach who I have been working very hard with for the last two years.  Before that I had a different coach and was frustrated because I just couldn't win and couldn't improve.  I am very fortunate to have found my current coach, Marcel, who has helped me improve all elements of my dance, especially the critical elements of balance, posture and movement.  He has taken me from never winning or even placing to placing in the top three on a fairly regular basis.  
Dancing and even competing is not just about winning; it is also about improving and dancing your best.  I enjoy social dancing but I LOVE competing and so I want to always dance my best.  When the crucial elements of posture, balance and movement are working together, the feeling is incredible.  I feel like the twirling ballerina on top of the jewelry box.  
I'm planning on competing again soon.  Hopefully, I will be able to compete this summer and then in November, attend the crown jewel of dance competitions, The Ohio Star Ball.  It's HUGE....and I want to be there amid all of the excitement and sparkle.  I don't even care if I win; I just want to be a part of it.
I'm not a perfect dancer; far from it.  But I am working hard and improving every day and enjoying the floating feeling of dancing in synchronicity with my partner.
I love ballroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain