Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mommyblog Inspirations

Ive been following the blogs of some women in a book group I belong to and the majority of them are stay at home moms. For the past few years I've really struggled to accept my own stay at home mom status without losing the feeling that I'm contributing to the world beyond the home. I have worked since I was 15 years old...and staying at home rather than working outside my home is still, after 4 years of being home with my child, a source of guilt and bewilderment at times. Don't get me wrong...I love being at home with my son....witnessing every milestone, listening to what he has to say, teaching him and loving him. Staying home with him is a gift that I didn't have the opportunity to experience with my older sons as a single mom during their early years. The conflict of emotions occurs to me when I hear other women talk about their jobs...or rather their work. I find myself fascinated by the minute details of their work days...the day to day details, frustrations and thrills that seemed so irritating to me when I did work. Then I hear the stories of the moms at home with their kids and I am equally fascinated by their joys and struggles with stay at home motherhood. So while reading these blogs, I'm learning to appreciate all the minutae of motherhood and homemaking and to view it as meaningful work. I'm newly fascinated the by the simple day to day tasks of a running a home.........menu planning, schedule coordinating, discovering new family activites. I'm so thankful to have the time to do these thing for my family......to create rich warmth and comfort for the people God has graciously added to my life. This does have meaning.......I am contributing to the world at large...by the act of creating a home haven......by caring for my family and sending them into the world knowing they have a safe and loving home to retreat to.
I've been inspired by momblogs.........
It's not that their words somehow convinced me by persuasive theories and logic........we have been hearing for and against (homemaking vs. career) arguments forever. No, it is reading and really feeling the heart behind the words of these blogs. By being truly interested in and recognizing the importance of the "mundane" activities of daily living with a family. I am gathering information and ideas to implement and share with my friends and family. I am thankful to finally recognize that I don't need the lights and sirens and the adrenaline rush of my former career as a paramedic. I am thankful to witness the fine examples of motherhood.....women who cherish the gift of motherhood and homemaking ............I am thankful for the unexpected source of momblog inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain