Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What I Really Love!


After Marcel and I had decided that I was not going to do a showcase performance at the upcoming dinner showcase event....we ended up deciding to do it anyway.
We are going to stick to Tango, because its my best dance.  I'll be doing a couple of extra lessons in the next couple of weeks.  We starting working on choreography last week....we perform on December 1st.  Talk about last minute prep!
And....we are not just doing something easy.  This song is full of choreography.
Our song is "Unchain My Heart" by Joe Cocker.  This is one fierce dance.  LOVE IT.

I had a lesson today and this is what I wore.  The cardi is the cashmere Garnet Hill that I thrifted a week or two ago for $5.00 at Goodwill. Oh, LOVE IT.

I've had the striped top for about three years.  It was purchased at full price at The Limited, before I made the transition to thrifting.  I've worn this top many times so I'm sure my cost-per-wear is low.  I really love this top, it's pretty, flattering, comfortable and very versatile.  I chose the violet scarf because the hat has threads of the same color running through it.  LOVE IT.

This vest was thrifted at a consignment shop that I had earned an in-store credit.  Its laying kind of awkwardly in this photo..but it is really, really cute. LOVE IT.


More of the violet theme.  These shoes are 'Sofft'; purchased a year ago on clearance at Marshalls.  It's hard to see the patent accents that look so pretty contrasted with the suede uppers.  I LOVE them.

Actually....I don't really love any of these things...... but I do like them a lot.

This is what I really love......

A boy and his dog.....

.....and my bigger boys and my grandson, Brady.

They are my true loves.

They will be at my showcase.....cheering me on even if I fall on my face.



14 comments:

  1. You just can't beat good cashmere for $5.00. :) And oh my, that vest is gorgeous.

    How exciting that you are doing the performance, whew, that doesn't sound like very much time to prepare but how exciting! (You will have to post photos, I always love seeing your performances and competitions.) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post photos...if any of them turn out ok! I'll have to bring my good camera and hope that my dance is decent enough to photograph!

      Delete
  2. Hoping for video of the tango :)

    So jealous you scored a cashmere sweater at GW Boutique. I ran across one in perfect condition in our local GW a few weeks ago, but it was too small! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne. I'm not sure if I the show will be videotaped, but usually they are. What I'm really not sure of is that this dance will be video worthy, considering that we don't have choreography done yet and we just started working on it in the last couple of weeks!

      Keep searching for the perfect cashmere. I find a number of cashmere pieces. Until I started thrifting, I never own cashmere.

      Delete
  3. Cannot wait to hear more about the tango :) have you decided on a dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a dress for my Tango. For showcases I don't always wear my ballroom gowns; if I'm dancing Waltz or Viennese Waltz I will wear a true ballroom gown. If I'm dancing Quickstep, Foxtrot or Tango I might wear a ballroom gown or I might wear another type of gown if it suits the essence of the dance.

      For this Tango, I'm wearing a pretty black dress that has a chiffon overlay. It has narrow straps at the shoulders that have rhinestone clips. The top of the dress skims the body nicely and it has a slight plunge in the back. The skirt begins to flow away from the body (which is good for unrestricted movement) and has a flamenco style ruffle at the bottom. The front hem ends at the knee and it tapers to a hi-lo hem that nearly touches the floor in the back. It's a very Tango-y looking dress. Also wearing over the elbow black gloves and pearls. It's a fun dress. The best part is that I got it at a thrift store for $6.00! I'll post a picture. :)

      Delete
  4. Your son is so cute!! So excited for you for your upcoming ballroom competition!! You are the thrift store queen!! I love how you are able to get all these outfits that look amazing so cheap. You really have to have a good eye for it and lots of patience:)) I wish I could see more 40s and 50s in the thrift shops but it's hard to come by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna....you would love my cousins closet. She is a vintage lover too. She has a primitives home decor blog ( It's a kattywhompus life--she's on my blog list--->) but its a bit out of date. She has and etsy store and I think she will soon be selling some of her vintage dresses. She's been planning it; don't know how far she is though. She's pretty awesome.

      I know your style is hard to come by; that's what makes it so fun. Now we see a lot of 70's stuff in the thrift stores. I went through that trend once already!

      Delete
  5. Enjoy yourself and good luck! Your boy is so sweet! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving Lisa! I love that you earn in-house credits at a consignment shop! And the vest looks so cozy!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice, happy Thanksgiving to you too! Enjoy your family.
      I couldn't resist that vest.

      Delete
  7. You are so fierce! And yes, people and animals are better than things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...Thank you. I agree, our people and animals are the best things we can have.

      Delete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain