Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2012

Bad Bad Bad


Today was my first day back to school and teaching.  I had butterflies last night and this morning, but once I met my class and got the ball rolling, I was fine.
I decided to wear a very proper and sedate black dress that I found at the Goodwill a couple of weeks ago.  It's a Karen Alexander for Boston Proper dress.  I think its very ladylike and the cut is very flattering to pear shaped figures.  How I love my simple black dresses.


Lia Sophia 'Cabana' necklace
To add some color and interest I layered two Lia Sophia necklaces; the one that I won at the big LS event last month and the one that I purchased at that event.  

Now this is the Bad Bad Bad as noted in the title of the post.  As thrifty as I have been in shopping for clothing this year....I was still willing to splurge (and splurge big) to purchase a new bag.  I really like small bags, but they usually aren't roomy enough to hold everything I need.  I don't carry a lot in my purse, but I need to carry my invisalign retainers in a case and I want to carry my Kindle Fire in my bag.  I could fit most things in the very small mini-bags that I typically carry, but it was awkward because everything had to be placed just so and I was always checking the contents to assure that I hadn't dropped anything.  As much as I love tiny purses, they just are not functional for me.
I told myself that I would pay a good chunk of change for a purse IF it fit all of my necessities comfortably, was beautiful, functional and had a cross body option as well and short handles.  It also had to be well made, leather with a pretty fabric interior and medium in size.  Oh, and it had to have several interior pockets, a structured design, no ostentatious logos and be either black or a deep, dark burgundy color.  Sigh....I found it.  Ouchies on the wallet.
T.J. Maxx has this deeply discounted past season Rebecca Minkoff and it fit every single requirement on my list.  I'm in love, but the price, even discounted, hurt.

If that was not bad enough...I was also in need of a new book/work tote.  I had basically the same requirements as I did for the purse, but it needed to be large enough to carry my school supplies.  Double ouch.  This bag is by Pulicati, an Italian designer I had never heard of. It was so beautiful and well crafted that I decided to take a chance. This bag is a keep forever bag.  The leather is supple, smooth and strong.  The colors are so rich.  I think I'm in love. This was also deeply discounted, but a pretty big splurge.

I'm very, very particular about bags.  If I settle for less than what I think works well for me...I'm replacing them in no time. I am willing to spend more on bags that meet every point on my list...and both of them did.  I thought long and hard about purchasing these two bags.  I decided to do it because I'm looking at them as high quality investments that will stand the test of time.  

I'm tired of replacing my bag every few months because it is functional or durable enough.  It was time to step up and choose quality.

I won't say how much I spent today, but I will say that I've never spent as much on a bag as I did today on each of these bags.  Ouch.   I feel bad, bad, bad.

When I sold my royal blue ballroom dress a few weeks ago, I had decided that I wanted to use the money to purchase something that had some meaning and was not frivolous.  I wanted to replace something very meaningful to me (my first real ballroom gown by a known dress designer) with something that would have some degree of importance to me.  
I'm not a designer name kind of girl when it comes to bags.....but I do like a quality bag and I do have strong attachments to my purses. I won't thrift a purse no matter who the designer is; my purses are too personal to me. While bags this expensive may seem frivolous, if they last and I still love them in three years...I will have done well.

In the meantime...I'm going to be smarting a little bit over paying as much as I did.
I'm just going to allow myself to feel Bad, Bad, Bad for a little while.

45 comments:

  1. My first class begins tomorrow...and I have some nerves about it, in spite of many years of teaching. How many students do you have.

    I know that I give far more consideration to my book bags than I do my purses. The one you picked is lusciously beautiful. Tell yourself you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I have 26 students.

      I do love my new bags. They are both bigger than what I have had in the past...but I'm going to love them because they are so much more functional and less of a struggle to manage!

      I'm still in sticker shock!

      Delete
  2. You look elegant and plain, the best for your first class day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I think I'm going to love wearing this dress.

      Delete
  3. You look so elegant. I go back tomorrow and already the butterflies are starting. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why...I think its that every semester we have a new group of students, possibly a new room or office. Working at a university is an always evolving process. Its exciting and a wee bit intimidating in the beginning.

      Delete
  4. Don't feel bad for too long ... as you mentioned you've had to replace the bag and tote often, I'm sure these will pay for themselves over and over ... there's a lot to be said for buying the best quality item you can afford.

    Glad all went well with your first day 'back to school'.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Thanks for the kind words. I know I won't regret buying high quality...If they hold up they will be well worth it!

      I'm relieved the first day is over!

      Delete
  5. Don't feel bad for purchasing quality! Like you said, it's a keep forever bag so if you think about it as a price per wear it won't seem like such a ding on your pocketbook. Both bags are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them. I think the book bag is going to get better with age; I think it will get that well worn patina that beautiful leather gets. I love them...but the price will sting for a bit.

      Delete
  6. I have to tell you, you did great getting a reduced price Rebecca Minkoff bag. She is a great designer and anybody who knows her work will know what you are carrying, but most will not, which is part of the beauty! Ever since I stepped up (and I mean by a lot) in the price department for handbags, I no longer buy bags at Macy's that I would still pay like $50-60 for, wear for a few months, and then want a new bag, or worse, need a new bag because the old one looked terrible. Now I don't buy bags and the few that I seriously stepped up for will last forever, they are that well-made. Your Rebecca Minkoff bag should last awhile so I say toss that guilt right out the window my dear and enjoy your purchases! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill...my experiences with bags in the past is just as you describe here. Sometimes it was poor wear and sometimes I just didn't like it that much. I just don't like the look and feel of a cheaply made bag. I think I am going to love the RM bag for a long time to come.

      Delete
  7. Hey, at least you decided what you needed and didn't compromise until you found it. That means that you'll be happy with your purchase for a long time to come :) Love your first day back teaching outfit. That dress looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! I am really happy with this bag and I think it is "the one".

      Delete
  8. You look great. I love black dresses. I have to watch it or they could be my everyday dresses:). I would not feel any guilt over your bag purchases. I pay a lot for a good bag. They can last a lifetime, if you find the right one and they have a sentimental value for you. I don't pay full price for a designer handbag but when they hit the sale rack, I am all over them:). This is something that you will appreciate, so I would enjoy it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it....it feels great; so beautiful, classic and very functional which I love.

      Delete
  9. so funny that you as the teacher had butterflies, it just never goes away no matter how old we get does it
    those kids probably thought you were calm cool and collected with not a care in the world
    brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of them were a bit nervous. Yesterday's class was the very first class and day of college for one of my students, which was pretty neat!

      Delete
  10. A good bags that meet all your requirements are hard to find. So when you finally have not only found one but two that you really like, you should celebrate your hunting luck! Given that you are a scientist too I am sure you can do simple statistics and find out that if you use them often and over a longer period of time, in the long run they might be cheaper than your cheap bags. The bags are fab and so is also this LBD of yours. But I understand that you felt bad bad bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You know it's funny; now I want to run stats on everything! Thank you for the compliment!

      By the way, I won't be attending the conference in November because I will be competing at a very big ballroom dance competition in Ohio that week, but I talked with my faculty advisor and we have set our goal to attend at present at the 2013 conference in New Orleans!

      Delete
    2. Cool, I probably will go to the Big Easy next year too, so hopefully we will see each other then, but until then you can count me in as a follower here.

      Delete
  11. You look great for your first day back...and of course I love the bags. I woke this morning to an email notice from Kate Spade advertising up to 75% off during a 2 day sale. There were at least two bags I swooned over but I didn't buy anything. A proud, and rare, moment for me. Rebecca Minkhoff bags are very cute. Don't feel guilty just enjoy! They will be worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be worth the investment.

      I really, really love this Rebecca Minkoff bag...but Kate Spade could tempt me too. I won't be that bad and buy another...or will I???

      Delete
  12. Hello. Found your blog through Rags Against the Machine and I can see why Terri spoke so highly of you. You have a lovely blog and a delightful sense of style.

    And, don't worry, I spend a lot on my bags too. I like them big and well made, with supple leather and enough room for books and snacks. I've found it's okay to buy a good bag because I carry mine everyday for years, keeping the cost per use low.

    Can't wait to read more!

    Gracey
    http://fashionforgiants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracey....I am so happy Terri pointed you in this direction. I will be checking out your blog as soon I finish my response.

      Carrying my bag today, I only though of how beautiful and functional it is and I didn't feel bad at all. I'm getting over it quick!

      Delete
  13. Hi, I came over here via Terri from Rags in the Machine too :)
    You look lovely in your black dress, and I am a big believer in spending up big on bags too, except I don't feel bad about it ;) Your bag is an accessory you wear every day, with every outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn...

      Thanks for stopping by; I'm very quickly getting used to the idea of spending more on a bag; I actually enjoyed carrying this one and I wasn't irritated by it...as I often am with cheaper, less beautiful, less functional bags!

      You are right, I think it will be well worth the investment considering that I use it every day, hopeful for a long time to come.

      Delete
  14. Wow girl you really have style! This is so great, simple but stunning..following you now,follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabella, thanks for checking in...I'll stop by your blog!

      Delete
  15. Good, good, good for you. I'm sure you work hard and deserve both of the bags and more!
    I feel about shoes like you feel about bags.
    Your blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have a shoe thing too. Shoes are even more critical since they carry you everywhere and cause such pain if they aren't right. Its not easy to find a stellar pair, is it?

      Thank you for stopping by; I intend to take a look at yours in just a few minutes!

      Delete
  16. Well hello there, I found you via Terri @ Rags and so happy I stopped by for a visit! I'm VERY fussy about bags too and I've given up on finding a new one that fits all my needs. I just buy big old beauty cases and granny knitting bags and they fit everything and more! Plus I have a thing for double-bagging: a cute wee bag for wallet, phone and keys, then a huge granny bag for all the sundry rubbish. It works and it's cheap:)). I'm your newest follower! See you again soon:))) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I have also done the 'little bag in a big bag' think and that works too. THIS bag kind of jumped out and bit me! Love at first sight....

      Delete
  17. Lisa, you look gorgeous in black...really!!

    No need to feel bad girly, just enjoy!!! You DESERVE it! A woman needs pretty things ;) and always pick quality!! I have bags from 20 years ago that will be in service for many more years to come.

    Both bags are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its great that you have some of your long ago bags! That's encouraging.

      I really hope this is the one that will last me. It was hard to say bye-bye to that much cash for a bag...but I think it is going to be worth it.

      Thank you for the compliments.

      Delete
  18. Rebecca Minkoff handbags are really well made and should last a lot longer than several less expensive bags. It sounds like you got a bargain on it. Both your bags look like ones that will last for years.
    You look lovely for the first day back to school.
    I found your blog via Terri and I am glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie and thank you also for stopping by and commenting. I really was not familiar with RM's bags...but boy am I now. I'm enjoying it so far.. a bit of luxury but not ostentatious.

      Delete
  19. your necklaces are lovely!
    And nice work tote!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy...I took a few minutes to look at your blog and left a comment as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  20. I love how you mix and match everything here! Great blog dear! I am now following you! Please follow me back!

    Blow A Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priscilla....thank you for stopping by. I checked out your blog and it looks great!

      Delete
  21. Why are you feeling bad? If you can afford it and you're going to use the heck out of those bags, then enjoy your new things! Hope your first week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to use the heck out of it. It was deeply discounted so it was more affordable; but still pricey for my budget. I've just never even considered spending that much...but I decided to adopt a 'Parisian' attitude and purchase quality that will last.

      Thanks for the well wishes for the first week back t school. I'm sure I'm going to love it...my students seem to be a fun group. MY classes however seem intense! :)

      Delete
  22. Found you through Terri @ Rags and I'm glad I did. You have a beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello....thank you for checking out my blog and for your compliment. I've been having fun with it!

      Delete

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"--Mark Twain